Monday 8 October 2012

Spicy Vegetable Soup

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
6 cups chicken broth/stock
 3 carrots, chopped
1 can (400g/14.5oz) chopped tomatoes (undrained)
1 shallot (or small onion), diced
1 cup celery, chopped
Cabbage (I used 2 leaves of savoy, use what you have)
1 can (400g/14.5oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste

Put all of the veggies into the slow cooker then add the broth. Cook it on high until the carrots are tender. It took 4 hours in my slow cooker. The longer you let it cook, the better it tastes, but the mushier the veggies can become.

*Note: I abhor celery. This goes way beyond hate. Even I cannot taste it in this recipe nor tell that it's even there after cooking.

If you'd like, add up to 3 tbsp rice at the beginning for a thicker soup. You can also add corn if you'd like. I like the spiciness in this, especially now that the nights are getting cooler.

I haven't tried it, but if you use canned carrots this would come together especially fast. You'd bring it to a boil then lower it to a simmer for about half an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment