Tuesday 31 July 2012

Toad in the hole

Toad in the hole

450g/1 pound pork sausages (I used 6 sausages total, or 300g sausages split between two batches)

For the batter:
100g/4 oz plain flour
1.25 ml/ 1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
300 ml/ 1/2 pint milk, or milk and water (I used 150 ml milk and 150 ml water)

Make the batter:
Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and add the beaten egg. Stir in half of the milk (or all of the milk if using milk and water), gradually working in the flour.

Beat vigorously until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, then stir in the rest of the milk (or the water). Pour the batter into a jug and set aside.

Set the oven at 220C / 425F / gas 7. Arrange the sausages in a shallow 1.1 litre / 2 pint circular dish (I do not have one of these, so I use a rectangular baking dish). Stand the dish on a baking sheet and cook the sausages for 15 minutes (I cooked my sausages for 20 minutes since they were frozen).

Pour the batter over the sausages and bake for 40-45 minutes more until golden brown and well risen.

Notes: The sausages I used did not have much fat in them, therefore the yorkshire pudding stuck! Next time I will be greasing my pan with a bit of olive oil or shortening (or even lard/beef drippings) depending on what I have at hand. This is a wonderful comfort food dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment